Updated on October 11, 2018 by
Status 2018-10-11: Position filled
EISCAT Scientific Association is seeking a Programmer / Software Engineer for EISCAT_3D system integration work
EISCAT_3D is a modern, multi-static, phased array radar system to be deployed in Finland, Norway, and Sweden. The implementation phase started 1 September 2017 and the system will be ready for use in 2021.
As Programmer / Software Engineer, you will work in the software team planning and writing the code needed to integrate hardware into the overall EISCAT_3D system. The software interfaces are well defined API’s provided by the contracted vendors supplying the hardware. EISCAT develops the overall system control for EISCAT_3D and the initial tasks for the Programmer / Software Engineer relate much to plan, code and verify the interfacing between vendor provided hardware and EISCAT’s own software platform. The EISCAT_3D system will be remote controlled in real time and the data will be processed in high throughput on-site cluster computers and transferred to one or more central archives. The development of the control and monitoring software for that environment is also under the responsibility of the EISCAT_3D software team.
Experience and qualifications
The tasks and system environment are challenging, and the successful candidate will need to have experience in at least some of these areas:
- Real-time control of customized multi-channel data collection systems
- Synchronous signal processing for multiple channels in a pipelined configuration
- Time- and spectral-domain processing
- Multi-core, cluster computing
- Structured Software design
- Thorough understanding of software development for a networked environment
- Additionally, some familiarity of the following areas will be advantageous
- Non-linear least squares fitting
- Real-time operation of data base systems
- File management systems
- Metadata and documentation standards
In order to qualify as candidate for the position, the following requirements have to be met:
- A minimum of 2 years of professional programming experience
- Excellent technical communication skills in English, both verbal and written, are necessary
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance and supervision
- A driving license of at least category B is required
- A valid EU work permit
What EISCAT offers:
The work environment is international with colleagues originating from various countries and also actually working in different countries; Finland, Norway plus Svalbard, and Sweden. The EISCAT users come from universities and research organisations from around the world. The atmosphere is relaxed though with a fast pace, particularly relating to the construction of EISCAT_3D. The employment terms are comparable to state employment rules. This means 28 – 35 days annual vacation (depending on age), relocation coverage, good pension benefits and insurance coverage, etc.
Terms and how to apply:
The initial stage of the EISCAT_3D implementation phase started 1 September 2017 and will run to 31 December 2021. The employment terms, including length of employment, are subject to negotiations but should not be less than two years. A continuation in a regular position may be possible thereafter. The affiliation is with EISCAT Headquarters in Kiruna, Sweden and the primary work location will also be in Kiruna. A second work location, either at one of the other EISCAT sites, or at some other location, including a home-office, can be negotiated.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com (subject: Programmer) at earliest convenience. The vacancy is open until filled.
Questions and contact information
For further work specific details, please contact:
Harri Hellgren, System Integration Engineer
Phone:+46 70 289 83 07
For employment related matters, please contact:
Henrik Andersson, Head of Administration
Phone: +46 70 209 43 85
A pdf version of the advert can be found here